Monday, October 31, 2011

bog walk

Well we took a stroll down to the river across the bog which is harder work than walking on soft sand or snow. The clocks changed last night and tommorow is a public holiday for Halloween, The practice of dressing up in costumes and begging door to door for treats on holidays dates back to the Middle Ages and includes Christmas wassailing. Trick-or-treating resembles the late medieval practice of souling, when poor folk would go door to door on Hallowmas (November 1), receiving food in return for prayers for the dead on All Souls' Day (November 2). It originated in Ireland and Britain, although similar practices for the souls of the dead were found as far south as Italy.

I found my skeleton he was in a cupboard as I had thought, now has pride of place in one of the glass side windows at the front door. I also made a pumpkin head for a candle to go in and have been sharpening my axe, kidding there. As a kid we were always dressed up for the halloween party and back then all the costumes were hand made not store bought. My parents were great at coming up with great costumes and I wish digital photography had been round back then so I would have had a record of all them. Its the same with photos of my dogs, I think I have one photo of Kerry, a handful of Bochan, who came after I got married, and progressivly more of Roory Ishan Jessy and Gus.

No comments: