Thursday, October 8, 2009

Readers says Hey Hey's Jackson Jive skit 'not racist'

Well I didn't grow up in Australia and maybe my sense of humour is a bit different to the average Aussie, but I dont find Hey Hey its Saturday very funny at the best of times, I do think the Jackson Jive skit would is offensive and is tasteless.
However an overwhelming 69 per cent of readers who voted in online polls across Australia said the skit – which featured four men with blackened faces wearing afro wigs miming to the Jackson Five’s Can You Feel It – was neither racist nor tasteless. My question is were the people voting coloured? surely if you want to find out if something is offensive you ask the people that may be offended and in that case that would be coloured people.

I went to primary school on a tiny wee island off the west coast of Scotland and secondary school in a wee town called Oban, the population on the island was 100% caucasian and 99.5% caucasian in Oban so I suppose I never experienced racism until moving to Australia, we did have Religious bigotry between Prodestants and Catholics but in the Highlands it didnt seem as pronounced as in Glasgow where the first question wee kids ask is "are ye a Proddy or a Pape"

I have a pal here Ray who is an Aborigional and was my deckhand when I worked on the tugs, I was horrified when other crew would call him a "coon" and "wee black whatever" but it seemed not to bother him and in retrospect I think it was because he grew up with it, I don't like it at all.


Anyway, my blog so far hasn't been very amusing so the photo above has the caption "We just love cats here so much we just want to squeeze them and hug them and love them forever"

Ohh as well  the mystery of crop circles in poppy fields in Australia's southern island state of Tasmania has been solved -- stoned wallabies are eating the poppy heads and hopping around in circles.  Of course, it's not like they are smoking it - but they certainly are hard at work.
"We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," the state's top lawmaker Lara Giddings told local media on Thursday.
"Then they crash. We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high," she said.
For a long time people have believed that crop circles were created by aliens from other planets but it has actually been tweaked out wallabies.
Poppy producer Tasmanian Alkaloids said livestock which ate the poppies were known to "act weird" -- including deer and sheep in the state's highlands.
"There have been many stories about sheep that have eaten some of the poppies after harvesting and they all walk around in circles," said field operations manager Rick Rockliff.
Australia produces about 50 percent of the world's raw material for morphine and related opiates.

No comments: