Thursday, April 8, 2021

 Sushi and Tempura Veg

 

I'm making Sushi for tonight's dinner along with Tempura veg and a Kimchi pancake. A good site to see how to cook Sushi rice properly is at  https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-make-sushi-rice 

Mine will have Daikon (Japanese radish,) Cucumber, Spring onions and Tuna. To dip the rolls in I'll make a sauce with soy sauce, chili paste, sugar and lemon juice. I also have wasabi paste which I love and Angie hates so I'll put loads of that in the rolls, only kidding.

The veg I'm going to coat in Tempura batter (made with ice cold sparkling water) are mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli,cauliflower and carrot. and the dipping sauce for them hmmm Teriyaki marinade, chili, grated ginger and lime zest.

Angie made some Kimchi so I'm going to make a pancake each too https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/quick-kimchi-pancakes

I like Japanese dishes and a lot of their culture, we used to plan a stopover in Japan when we flew back from Australia. When we moved to Australia I did a Beginners Japanese course and can still remember most of the phrases learnt back then like how to say "Nice to meet you" "How do you do" "My name is Robert" "I come from Scotland" "Thanks" count from one to ten and the like ohh and "Where is the pen" lol not sure why that stuck in my mind.

Also love Korean food, getting a taste for it when I was Master of a Korean charter vessel in Australia that gave me dinner as part of my wages every night.  

We have been meat free here for over two months now and I get a lot of my inspiration for tasty vegetable and fish dishes from Asia, in Japan eating meat was prohibited for more than a thousand years prior to 1868.


 

No comments: